If you have five minutes in the morning, you have a nutritious and hearty breakfast. Or, make this porridge the night before and leave it in the fridge to take with you out the door.
- 35 g (⅓ cup) quinoa flakes
- 270 ml coconut milk, or milk of your choice
- 2 tbsp white chia seeds
- 1 tbsp organic honey or maple syrup, plus extra to serve
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon, plus extra to serve
- toasted flaked almond
- toasted coconut chips
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Place the quinoa flakes in a sieve and rinse under running water until the water runs clear to remove the bitterness.
2. Place all the ingredients in a saucepan and stir over low heat for 3 minutes or until the desired consistency is achieved. For a thinner consistency, add extra milk and for a thicker consistency, simmer longer.
3. Pour the porridge into bowls and top with berries, nuts, coconut chips, a pinch of extra cinnamon and a drizzle of honey.
Catch Helen Tzouganatos whipping up lush gluten-free meals alongside guests in the brand new first series of Loving Gluten Free on SBS and SBS On Demand.