These richly flavoured mushrooms keep well in the refrigerator and are perfect added to stir-fries or braises.
- 1 cup dried Chinese (shiitake) mushrooms
- ¼ cup roughly chopped ginger
- 2 spring onion (scallion) stems, halved
- 3 garlic cloves, crushed
- 2 tbsp shao hsing wine
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Soaking time: 1 hour
- Soak mushrooms in hot water for 1 hour, ensuring that they are completely submerged.
- When softened, remove stems with scissors and discard. Place mushrooms in a pan and add enough water to cover. Add ginger, spring onions, garlic and wine, bring to the boil. Reduce heat and simmer for 45 minutes. The mushrooms are cooked when soft and tender. Allow to cool in cooking liquid.