These mini 'open' toasts bring the best of the Mediterranean diet, with capers, anchovy and olives, finished with a peppery Maltese cheese.
- 1 fresh baguette
- 200 g kunserva (Maltese sun-dried tomato paste)
- 100 g baby capers
- 100 g dehydrated black olive crumb or finely chopped black olives
- 150 g pickled onions, thinly sliced
- 1 bunch chives, finely chopped
- extra-virgin olive oil, for drizzling
- salt and black pepper, to taste
- 50 g anchovies, halved lengthways
- 150 g gbeijnit (Maltese peppered cheese)
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Serves 8 as a snack
- Cut the baguette into rounds and spread a generous amount of kunserva evenly all the way to the edges of the baguette.
- Sprinkle with capers, then a little black olive and sliced pickled onion. Scatter with chives and drizzle generously with olive oil, then add a good grind of pepper and a little salt. Top each slice with half an anchovy, then finely grate a little cheese over the top and serve.
Join Shane Delia and friends for A Middle East Feast on SBS Food and SBS On Demand.