This sweet-and-savoury, kaleidoscopic salad bursts with the tangy flavours and brightness of citrus, balanced by peppery radish and creamy avocado.
- 2 umeboshi (dried salted Japanese plums)
- ¼ tsp ginger, grated
- 1 tbsp soy sauce
- 1 tsp mirin
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 each grapefruit, orange, blood orange, mandarin and yuzu (if available), peel and pith removed, flesh cut into segments
- 3 radishes, quartered
- ½ cup mixed dried seaweed, rehydrated
- ½ bunch mizuna, cut in half
- ½ avocado
- ½ bunch chives
- baby shiso leaves or cress, to garnish
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Remove the skin from the umeboshi and place the flesh in a bowl along with the ginger, soy sauce, mirin and olive oil. Whisk everything together until combined, then set aside.
- Place the prepared citrus in a bowl with a quarter of the dressing and toss to combine. Place this mix on one side of a serving dish.
- Squeeze out the liquid from the seaweed and add it to the other side of the dish. Drizzle a tablespoon of the dressing over the seaweed.
- Place the mizuna on another side of the dish. Place the avocado half on top of everything and drizzle over the remaining dressing. Garnish with chives and shiso leaves or cress, if using.