In the time it takes to defrost a frozen pudding, this banana caramel delight can be whipped up - and you can't beat home baked.
- 175 g butter, softened and chopped
- 1 cup (175 g) brown sugar
- ½ cup (110 g) caster (superfine) sugar
- ½ tsp ground cinnamon
- 1 cup mashed banana
- 3 eggs
- 2 cups (300 g) self-raising (self-rising) flour
- ½ tsp baking powder
- 1½ cups (375 ml) single (pouring) cream
- ¾ cup (135 g) brown sugar
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
1. Preheat oven to 170°C (325°F).
2. To make the pudding, place the butter, sugars, cinnamon, banana, eggs, flour and baking powder in the bowl of an electric mixer and beat on medium speed for 1 minute or until just combined.
3. Pour the mixture into a greased 28 cm x 8 cm loaf tin lined with non-stick baking paper and bake for 1 hour or until cooked when tested with a skewer.
4. To make the caramel sauce, place the cream and brown sugar in a saucepan and simmer for 10 minutes or until thickened. Slice the pudding and pour over the warm sauce.