The beetroot give this whole pickled a beautiful purple hue. Be sure to start a week before you plan to serve this, as a rush job won't do.
- 40 g salt
- 400 ml white wine vinegar
- 1 tsp whole allspice
- 1 tsp black peppercorns
- 1 tsp fennel seeds
- 1 small head of cauliflower, cut into small florets
- 500 g baby turnips, cut into half-moons about 5 mm-thick
- 1 small beetroot, scrubbed and quartered
- 1 head garlic, cut into half
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Standing time: 1 week
- Place 1 litre of water in a saucepan with the salt and bring to the boil. Add the vinegar and spices, then return to the boil and remove from the heat.
- Meanwhile, fill a large jar with the cauliflower, turnips, beetroot and garlic. Pour the hot pickling liquid over the cut vegetables, seal and allow to cool 1-2 hours. Refrigerate the pickles for 1 week before eating. Once opened, store in the refrigerator.
Join Shane Delia and friends for A Middle East Feast on SBS Food and SBS On Demand.