A really, simple and tasty lunch that starts with an Asian-inspired poached chicken and is finished with fresh herbs, brown rice and a sweet chilli dipping sauce. #RecipeForLife
- 4 cups cooked brown rice (see Note)
- 1 cup fresh bean shoots
- 1 carrot, peeled and julienned
- 1 cucumber, julienned
- 200 g cherry tomatoes, halved
- 4 spring onions, finely sliced
- ½ cup coriander leaves
- ½ cup Vietnamese basil leaves
- 4 tbsp toasted sesame seeds
- 1 whole chicken (size 20), rinsed and dried
- 600 ml soy sauce
- 250 ml (1 cup) rice wine
- 120 g palm sugar, shaved
- 1 large knob ginger, sliced
- 6-7 shards licorice root
- 6 star anise
- 4 cardamom pods
- 1 tbsp fennel seeds
Dipping sauce 1
- juice of 2 limes
- 1 tbsp grated palm sugar, or to taste
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 1 red chilli, seeded and finely sliced
- 1 cm piece peeled ginger, finely sliced
Dipping sauce 2
- 250 ml (1 cup) strained master stock
- 2 tbsp chopped coriander leaves
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
Resting time: 1 hour
For the poached chicken, place all the ingredients in a large saucepan and cover with cold water. Bring to the boil over high heat, then remove from the heat immediately. Cover the pan with a tight fitting lid and stand the chicken in the cooking liquid for 1 hour. Remove the chicken, then strain and reserve the master stock. Discard the chicken skin and bones and shred the meat into bite-size pieces.
For the dipping sauces, combine the ingredients in separate bowls and set aside.
To serve, divide the cooked brown rice among 4 bowls and top with a handful of each of the salad ingredients. Add a handful of shredded chicken to each bowl and sprinkle with sesame seeds. Pour over whichever dressing you prefer, or both!
• To make 4 cups cooked brown rice, you will need approximately 295 g (1⅓ cups) uncooked brown rice. Place the rice in a saucepan with plenty of cold water and bring to the boil, stirring occasionally. Reduce the heat to low and simmer for 25-30 minutes or until tender. Drain well.
Any leftover chicken can be refrigerated and kept for another use.