SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

'Radicalised' NSW man behind bars

Sydney man Greg Ceissman, 24, has been refused bail in a NSW court after he allegedly accessed extremist material online.

2 min read

Published

Source: AAP


Skip to article content

A young Sydney man has been refused bail after he allegedly breached an anti-terror supervision order by accessing extremist material online.

Greg Ceissman, 24, was charged with multiple counts of failing to comply with his extended supervision order in August 2018, a month after it was issued over allegations he had been radicalised during a stint in prison.

The NSW Supreme Court on Thursday heard the some of the most serious charges related to claims he accessed extremist material on YouTube.

The Crown alleges that occurred sometime after Ceissman referred to police as "white Christian dogs" and spoke about how he'd breach his supervision order and commit terrorism acts.

He admitted in 2018 to breaching an earlier interim order by disobeying a direction on internet access and using undeclared applications including WhatsApp, Facebook and dating website F***book.

News that makes sense

Your trusted source for staying up-to-date with the world around you. Get free daily news updates and analysis, straight to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

His lawyer during his bail application on Thursday said Ceissman would defend the new charges.

She said serving a sentence had given him an opportunity to consider his position and commit to getting through his two-year ESO and resuming his normal life.

But the crown prosecutor submitted the case against Ceissman was overwhelming and the 24-year-old showed disregard for people in authority.

"He's been prepared to breach orders almost immediately after they were made," the prosecutor said.

Justice Christine Adamson ultimately refused Ceissman's release application because she wasn't satisfied that safety concerns raised by the Crown would be ameliorated by his bail proposal.

Ceissman hasn't been charged with a terror offence and has previously denied having extremist views.

Justice Stephen Rothman imposed the ESO against him under the Terrorism (High Risk Offenders) Act after the state alleged he'd been radicalised while serving a sentence for non-terror related offences.

NSW claimed he'd expressed a threat to attack Bankstown Shopping Centre and Marrickville Police Station and shoot and behead police officers.


Get SBS News straight to your inbox

Sign up now for daily news from Australia and around the world. You can also subscribe to Insight's weekly newsletter for in-depth features and first-person stories.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Stream now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world