Call to block IS group family members from Australia | Midday News Bulletin 17 February 2026

SBS NEWS OK AUDIO 16X9 DAY.png

Source: SBS News

Liberal Senator calls for government to block return of so-called Islamic State group family members from Syria; New South Wales Police decide not to extend restrictions on public assemblies; and in sport, Irish Rugby Football Union condemn racist abuse towards Edwin Edogbo on social media.


Listen to Australian and world news and follow trending topics with SBS News Podcasts.

TRANSCRIPT

  • Liberal Senator calls for government to block return of so-called Islamic State group family members from Syria
  • New South Wales Police decide not to extend restrictions on public assemblies
  • The Irish Rugby Football Union condemns racist abuse towards Edwin Edogbo on social media

Liberal Senator Jonathon Duniam says the Australian government must prove to Australians they are finally serious about protecting our country from the risks associated with returning family members of suspected ISIS militants.

Syrian Kurdish forces have released 34 Australians from a camp in northern Syria, saying they would be flown to Australia from Damascus.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese says the federal government has no plans to provide assistance to repatriate the group.

He has told the ABC, legal obligations under Australian law will be adhered to - and individuals who breach it, will face the full force of the law.

In a statement, Mr Duniam said the government must commit 100 per cent to doing everything to prevent the group from re-entering Australia while they present a risk, suggesting the government enact a Temporary Exclusion Order.

Such an order is typically used to prevent an individual from returning home from abroad if it's believed they present a terrorist threat or security risk, and was introduced by former Opposition leader Peter Dutton back in 2019.

---

The New South Wales Police Commissioner, Mal Lanyon, says he has decided to not extend the restrictions on public assemblies for another fortnight.

Police were granted powers under legislation that was passed by state parliament following the Bondi attack that allow for the Commissioner to make a declaration to restrict public assemblies - in certain locations - on a fortnightly basis for up to three months.

The restrictions have been in place since December 24 and expired earlier today.

Mr Lanyon says the police will now consider what's called form 1 applications for all protests, and he urged people to put a focus on staying calm.

"I want the community to consider and respect others. This is still a time for calm. It is two months out from the worst terrorist incident we've had in New South Wales. We want to work very closely with those who wish to exercise free speech and assemble in the public. We have done that previously; we will continue to do that. We want to ensure that public safety sits alongside public assembly. And we will continue to work very closely with organisers to make sure that happens."

---

Former NRL star Matt Utai is in hospital in a serious but stable condition, after being shot twice in a drive-by attack in Western Sydney.

The 2004 premiership-winning Canterbury winger was shot outside a home in Greenacre at around 6 o'clock this morning.

Superintendent Rod Hart says officers are seeking to establish whether a vehicle found nearby is linked to the shooting.

"We believe that it was two males - a gun man and a driver of a white possibly a SUV. That after the shooting left the scene. And a vehicle very shortly after this crime was committed was located in a street in Wiley Park; and it had been set alight. We believe at this point in time that it is definitely a targeted attack. There is no ongoing threat to the community."

---

In the United States, two people and a suspected shooter are dead, after a shooting during a youth hockey game in Rhode Island.

Police Chief Tina Goncalves says the shooting appeared to have been a targeted event, possibly connected to a family dispute, but did not provide further details.

One unidentified eyewitness describes the terror in the aftermath of the incident.

"Many of them were hugging their parents, rightfully so. And you could see some of the parents watching the players kind of .. you could feel and ask them ‘how are you doing?’ And you could see the tears starting to come down and the parents hugging their kids. And I'm sure they're thanking God that they weren't the victim of the shooting. They're still alive with them today."

---

In sport,

The Irish Rugby Football Union has condemned racist abuse directed at debutant Edwin Edogbo on social media - and says the matter has been referred to the relevant authorities for investigation.

Born in Ireland to Nigerian parents, Edwin Edogbo played the final 10 minutes of the 20-13 victory over Italy in the Six Nations over the weekend.

Posts on the social media accounts of the Irish Rugby Football Union celebrating his international debut, attracted a number of racist comments.

The comments have now been turned off.

In a statement, the Union condemned what it called "the cowardly actions of a minority", saying it has a zero tolerance policy towards racism of any form.

It says it is working with authorities and a data tech company which specialises in online abuse.


Share

Get SBS News daily and direct to your Inbox

Sign up now for the latest news from Australia and around the world direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world