The Lincoln Gardens Primary flew the Aboriginal flag at half mast in honour of the year 7 pupil, who is being remembered as "well-liked, friendly and caring."
Ilias Bakalla

12 May 2021 - 6:14 PM  UPDATED 12 May 2021 - 8:55 PM

South Australia's Port Lincoln community is in mourning after the tragic death of a 13-year-old boy, who died on Tuesday when a garbage truck collected the bin he was sleeping in.

A coroner's report will look at why the boy was sleeping in a dumpster bin when he had a bed to go home to. 

Two other boys aged 11 and 12, neither of whom were homeless, were sleeping in the bin with him.

Today, the boy's school principal said support was being offered to students and teachers at Lincoln Gardens Primary, where he was a year 7 pupil. 

The school's Aboriginal flag was flown at half-mast Wednesday, in honour of the young boy.

In a statement, principal Sandra Spencer said the boy would be missed be his peers and teachers. 

"The student was a well-liked, caring, friendly student at our school," she said.

“He also loved to share stories and spend time outside with nature, he will be greatly missed.”

Shadow minister for Indigenous Australians, Linda Burney has asked the community of Port Lincoln to "rally around the families" affected by the tragedy.

"Don't make judgments and understand that this will stay with the people involved for the rest of their lives," she told The Point.

"This is going to be devastating not only for the survivors of the accident but for the community.

"I think it's almost unspeakable, the death of such a young person, the injury of another and the desperation of the young boy banging on the door of the truck to get the driver to understand that there were people in the dump bin."

Detectives visited the family of the boy on Wednesday, as part of the open coronial investigation into his death. 

The family have requested privacy from the media at this time.


Aboriginal boy killed in SA after garbage truck collects bin he was sleeping in
Three boys aged 11, 12 and 13 had slept in an industrial bin overnight in Port Lincoln, before it was collected at 5:20am this morning.