• NRL Rabbitohs centre Latrell Mitchell at Redfern Oval, April 26, 2021. (AAP)Source: AAP
The Rabbitohs superstar hopes he can encourage others to keep speaking up against racism.
By
Jodan Perry

Source:
Over the Black Dot
27 May 2021 - 5:42 PM  UPDATED 27 May 2021 - 5:42 PM

South Sydney star Latrell Mitchell says he is happy with the ground made since he took a strong public stand against racism last month.

The 23-year-old has been the target of racial abuse throughout his life and has been subjected to a long line of vile online attacks while playing in the National Rugby League.

In April, two men were charged after making vilifying remarks on Mitchell's Instagram page following his teams Round 6 win over Wests Tigers.

In the days after Mitchell fronted a media conference to call for an end to the attacks not just on himself but for his peers in and outside of the game.

On Wednesday, one of the men charged plead guilty in Wyong Local Court yesterday for using a carriage service to 'menace, harrass or offend'.

The man's lawyer said his client was 'exceptionally sorry'.

Mitchell has the backing of the NRL with Chief Executive Officer Andrew Abdo pledging his support as he helped launch this weekend's Indigenous Round.

We saw incredible bravery by Latrell Mitchell," said Mr Abdo.

"He stood up and we were able to cooperate with police and as a result of that we have criminal charges and fans that are removed from the game — we will continue to do that.

Speaking to NITV's Over The Black Dot, Mitchell said he's happy his staunch stance is generating momentum.

"Its good, I have obviously started a process where this stuff needs to stop and it needs to stop in everyday life and it's not what we need to live with anymore," he said.

"We have lived with it for so long and people have got away with it for so long and by me talking up and putting steps and processes in place is creating that courage from other people Indigenous and non-Indigenous to speak up for themselves and call it out."

The Souths star has reiterated that he wants First Nations players better looked after and protected when they call out racial attacks.

Andrew Abdo said the game is behind them.

"We are not going to stop and we are not going to slow down. In fact, we are accelerating," he said.

"We have more sophistication than we have ever had before and we have a great relationship with the correct state authorities. That means we can take much stronger action than we have been able to in the past."