• An unvaccinated Aboriginal man in his 40s has died from Covid-19 at Dubbo Base Hospital. (Dubbo Regional Council)Source: Dubbo Regional Council
The man, who had underlying health conditions has become the sixth First Nations person to die from the virus.
Nadine Silva

28 Sep 2021 - 6:06 PM  UPDATED 28 Sep 2021 - 6:06 PM

An unvaccinated Aboriginal man living in Dubbo has died after becoming infected with the coronavirus.

NSW Health confirmed the man in his 40s had underlying health conditions and passed away at Dubbo Base Hospital. 

"We know this is a terribly tough and trying time for people not able to visit loved ones in hospital but also the fear and concern around COVID," Western Local Health District's chief executive Scott McLachlan said.

The man is one of two new coronavirus deaths recorded in Dubbo, bringing the death toll in western New South Wales to 11.

Of the 21 new cases reported in Western NSW, 11 are in Wellington, four in Narromine, two in Oberon and one in each town in Dubbo, Orange, Bourke and Bathurst.

Mr McLachlan said health services are now turning their attention to the Wellington outbreak. 

"We've seen a concerning growth in numbers in the last couple of days in Wellington. Without a doubt there's an outbreak that's going to need a lot of effort and focus from everyone in the community to try to slow the spread in Wellington," he said.

"We are seeing pleasingly some declining numbers in Dubbo, over the past week there hasn't been a day above five cases."

Only 29.1 per cent of Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people over the age of 16 are fully vaccinated.

The rate is well below 52.6 per cent of the non-Indigenous population who’ve received their second dose.

Last Friday, an unvaccinated 59-year-old Barkindji/Ngiyampaa man with underlying health problems died from the virus in Broken Hill.

The four other First Nations people that have lost their lives from COVID-19 came from the Dubbo community.

Fourth Aboriginal Elder dies from COVID-19 in under three weeks
The man in his 80s, who died at the St. Mary's Villa aged care home, is the seventh person to die from the virus in Western NSW since the end of August.