• The Magistrates Court in Brisbane. (AAP)Source: AAP
Steven Thelander died of diabetic ketoacidosis in 2019, despite living in disability service care, with support workers available round the clock.
22 Jun 2022 - 11:38 AM  UPDATED 22 Jun 2022 - 11:38 AM

The death of a 29-year-old Aboriginal man, who moved into a house with a support worker to live more independently after years of being cared for by his family, will be the subject of an inquest.

Steven Thelander, who had cerebral palsy, epilepsy and type 1 diabetes, had been cared for by his family on North Stradbroke Island in Moreton Bay, off Brisbane for most of his life, a pre-inquest conference was told on Tuesday.

On referral to a social worker in March 2017, Mr Thelander talked of getting employment, doing volunteer work and living independently off the island.

NT Indigenous teen’s heartbreaking account to Disability Royal Commission
The 17-year-old told the inquiry that he has been placed with 20 foster homes since he was 8 and bashed by multiple carers.

In December that year, he moved into a share house run by the organisation Multicap with support workers constantly on site.

Mr Thelander's family supported the move, but stressed his diabetes management was the most important concern and that he should not be allowed to make decisions about his food, counsel assisting Sarah Lio-Willie told the Coroners Court sitting in Brisbane.

He needed reminders to test his blood sugar levels and administer insulin, with support workers required to check the amount of insulin required with Mr Thelander's mother.

The 29-year-old spent Christmas with his family, returning to the house on December 28.

A support worker found two large empty lemonade bottles, empty chip packets and junk food when she woke him on January 15, 2018.

She noted it was not unusual for him to be tired as he had not slept well for a week due to concerns about his mother's health.

After refusing dinner that night Mr Thelander was found unresponsive by a support worker about 8pm.

Doctor tells inquest he made mistakes on Veronica Nelson's medical report
Dr Sean Runacres also accused the nurse who examined Ms Nelson with him of lying in her testimony.

The worker called Mr Thelander's mother, then an ambulance.

"This appeared to be a routine request rather than a priority emergency call," Ms Lio-Willie said.

Paramedics were unable to resuscitate Mr Thelander.

His death was due to diabetic ketoacidosis, with records showing Mr Thelander had displayed signs like lethargy, restlessness and vomiting for days before he died, Ms Lio-Willie told coroner Stephanie Gallagher.

His cerebral palsy was regarded as a significant condition.

The inquest is set to consider processes around his acceptance by Multicap and support he received at the shared house.

Ten witnesses are expected to testify during a four-day inquest, on a date yet to be decided.

'The community needs to be in charge': Sub-standard housing lethal to Indigenous patients
First Nations people living in remote housing with unstable electricity connections in the Northern Territory's extreme heat are enduring life-threatening conditions.