SKIP TO MAIN CONTENT

Macklin calls on Abbott to promise he won't cut Indigenous funding

Indigenous Affairs Minister Jenny Macklin has called on Opposition leader Tony Abbott to not cut a cent when it comes to funding Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander programs.

aap_6825_4Jan_JennyMacklin_800x600.jpg
Jenny Macklin's Labor colleagues are refusing to say whether they too could survive on the dole.

1 min read

Published

Updated

Source: SBS


Skip to article content

Last week Mr Abbott's director of policy Dr Mark Roberts allegedly made threats to cut resources for the National Indigenous Education Foundation if the Coalition wins office.

Currently, around $25-billion are spent on black Australians each year.

Minister Macklin wants the Coalition leader to give a guarantee that black money will be safe, if his party forms government.

The Opposition leader's office says there is no basis for the Government's attack.

"Tony has demonstrated his serious and ongoing commitment towards addressing Indigenous disadvantage in this country and has already announced a number of key policies and initiatives to bring this about," a statement said.


Subscribe to the NITV Newsletter

Receive the latest Indigenous news, sport, entertainment and more in your email inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow NITV

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our nitv podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on NITV

The Point: Referendum Road Trip

Live weekly on Tuesday at 7.30pm

Join Narelda Jacobs and John Paul Janke to get unique Indigenous perspectives and cutting-edge analysis on the road to the referendum.

#ThePoint

Stream now