Watch FIFA World Cup 2026™

LIVE, FREE and EXCLUSIVE

'They are not alone': Prime Minister Anthony Albanese meets with Kumanjayi Little Baby's family

Anthony Albanese met with the family of 5-year-old Warlpiri girl Kumanjayi Little Baby, whose body was found after an extensive five-day search in Alice Springs last month.

PM kumanjayi little baby.jpg
The Prime Minister met with Kumanjayi Little Baby's family at the Old Timers' town camp, where she was last seen. Source: supplied.

Prime Minister Anthony Albanese says the nation stands with the family of Kumanjayi Little Baby after travelling to Alice Springs to meet with them.

The Prime Minister said he met with Kumanjayi Little Baby's mum, grandfather and grandmother.

"She was cherished and loved and they're going through the worst of devastation" Mr Albanese said.

"It's important to be able to say to the family that the nation stands with them in their grief."

"They are not alone," he said.

The body of Kumanjayi Little Baby was found on Thursday 30 April, five days after she went missing from the Old Timers town camp, south of Alice Springs.

The five day search for the 5-year-old was the largest search the Northern Territory has seen in more than two decades.

Mr Albanese says his visit was also an opportunity to thank the hundreds of people who came together to search for the Warlpiri girl.

JKumanjayi little baby WEB photo 16x9.jpg
Since her passing the family have requested the 5-year-old be referred to as Kumanjayi Little Baby due to cultural reasons and have given permission for this image to be used. Source: NT Police

"Whether they were police or emergency service workers, St John's Ambulance, the local Land Council, people from community organisations, the local council, its an opportunity to say thank you to them," he said.

47-year-old man Jefferson Lewis has been charged with Kumanjayi Little Baby's murder and two other offences that cannot be published due to legal reasons.

PM calls on NT Government to 'work together' with community

In the wake of Kumanjayi Little Baby's death, the NT Government announced an overhaul of the NT's child protection system.

The proposed legislative amendments seek to list child safety as the key consideration in decisions to remove children from their families.

It would change how the NT’s child protection system works, and make it easier for Aboriginal children to be placed permanently with non-Indigenous carers.

More than 330 organisations from across the Northern Territory and Australia have condemned the proposed changes and have criticised the NT Government for not consulting with peak Aboriginal-controlled organisations.

When asked if he was concerned about the proposed changes being rushed through Parliament, Mr Albanese urged the NT Government to "work together" with First Nations people and stakeholders.

"They need to make sure that they work together," he said.

"I would say to the Northern Territory Government that you'll get better outcomes if you have an inclusive approach and you have buy-in to these issues.

"That's why that consultation and engagement is so important."

The NT Government has allowed for one week of public submissions to provide feedback on the proposed amendments to the legislation, with the closing date set for 22 May.


3 min read

Published

By Emma Kellaway

Source: NITV



Share this with family and friends


Subscribe to the NITV Newsletter

Receive the latest Indigenous news, sport, entertainment and more in your email inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow NITV

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our nitv podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on NITV

The Point: Referendum Road Trip

Live weekly on Tuesday at 7.30pm

Join Narelda Jacobs and John Paul Janke to get unique Indigenous perspectives and cutting-edge analysis on the road to the referendum.

#ThePoint

Watch now