On the 10 June 1838, eleven stockmen lead by squatter John Fleming arrived at the Myall Creck station. Near the station huts, approximately 35 Wirrayaraay people of the Kamilaroi nation were camping. Many of them were well-known on the local stations and had been given English names such as ‘Sandy’ and ‘Daddy’. They had been invited there by Charles Kilmeister, a convict stockman, after they were forced to move away from another station for their safety.
When the stockmen arrived the Aboriginal people rushed into the station hut and asked for protection. The station keeper George Anderson, in the absence of the manager William Hobbs, spoke to the stockmen about what they wanted with the Aboriginal people.
They replied that they were going to "take them over the back of the range and frighten them.” The stockmen, joined by Charles Kilmeister, then tied the Wirrayaraay people up and led them away to a gully where they were killed.
Approximately 28 were murdered including men, women and children. George Anderson, who did not take part, reported hearing two shots being fired and when the stockmen returned, saw their swords red with blood.
Ten young Wirrayaraay men who had been cutting bark on a neighbouring station escaped harm, however they returned to Myall Creek station that night and were told the news. The stockmen initially pursued the young men but after being unable to find them they returned to the site of the massacre and burned the bodies of their kin before leaving.
When the station manager William Hobbs returned days later he discovered the 28 bodies. The local Police Magistrate Edward Day was informed and conducted an investigation, arresting 11 of the 12 stockmen, with leader John Fleming escaping.