• (FILE): Gail Hickey at TJ's 10 year (AAP)Source: AAP
The lead up to the young man’s death has always been debated, and the colonel inquest has also been disputed by the Indigenous community.
Rangi Hirini

14 Feb 2018 - 2:17 PM  UPDATED 15 Feb 2018 - 10:33 AM

Today marks 14 years since Thomas ‘TJ’ Hickey was involved in an alleged police pursuit which resulted in his death and the 2004 Redfern Riots.

Family, friends and supporters all gathered in Waterloo for a rally and march in memory of the teenager who was 17 at the time of his death.

In attendance TJ’s mother Gail Hickey as well as New South Wales Green’s member, David Shoebridge who announced the NSW Greens will be tabling a motion for a parliamentary injury.

“Today I’m gonna go to Parliament and put on a motion, demanding and calling for a parliamentary inquiry into TJ’s death so we can finally get some answers and the family,” he said.

Mr Shoebridge told the crowd he believed the colonel inquest was ‘nothing more than a charade’ and said not a surprise that the family is demanding a proper inquiry.

TJ Hickey's mum 'still feels his presence', as her fight for justice continues
It's the little things that Gail Hickey remembers about her only son, whose death 12 years ago today prompted riots in Redfern.

TJ’s mother, Gail Hickey thanked the crowd who gathered for the anniversary and said it was a ‘special day’ for the Hickey family.

Over two decades later and TJ’s mother refuses to give up the fight for her son. 

"I will not give up fighting for justice...We need more people to come and march with us because it’s still happening."

TJ Hickey died on February 15 2004 after being falling off his bike during an alleged police chase and impaling himself on a steel fence.

Coroner John Abernethy found his death was a "freak accident" in August, 2004. Police have denied they were pursuing TJ at the time.

The inquiry did not find evidence that the police were pursuing him at the time, which the family and others dispute.

TJ was taken to Sydney Children’s Hospital and died being surrounded by his family, he was only 17 years old.