My adorable Uncle Jimmy makes the best egg noodles. He is committed to quality and freshness, and always uses fresh eggs as opposed to yellow food colouring. The combination of ingredients in the following recipe is simple, yet traditional – the smoky flavour imparted by the vigorous stir-frying is delicious.
My adorable Uncle Jimmy makes the best egg noodles. He is committed to quality and freshness, and always uses fresh eggs as opposed to yellow food colouring.
- ¼ bunch choy sum
- 300 g (10 oz) fresh thin egg noodles
- ¼ cup peanut oil
- 1 tbsp ginger julienne
- 3 garlic cloves, diced
- 1 small red onion, cut in half and then into wedges
- 1 tbsp sea salt
- 3 braised dried Chinese mushrooms, finely sliced
- 4 spring onions (scallions), trimmed and cut into 10 cm (4 in) lengths
- 1 large red chilli, finely sliced on the diagonal
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- 1 cup bean sprouts
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1 pinch Sichuan pepper and salt
Oven temperatures are for conventional; if using fan-forced (convection), reduce the temperature by 20˚C. | We use Australian tablespoons and cups: 1 teaspoon equals 5 ml; 1 tablespoon equals 20 ml; 1 cup equals 250 ml. | All herbs are fresh (unless specified) and cups are lightly packed. | All vegetables are medium size and peeled, unless specified. | All eggs are 55-60 g, unless specified.
- Trim ends from choy sum, then cut crossways into thirds, wash thoroughly and drain.
- Blanch noodles in boiling salted water until ‘al dente’ – about 2 minutes – and drain immediately. Refresh in cold water, then drain again thoroughly.
- Heat oil in a hot wok until the surface seems to shimmer slightly. Add ginger, garlic, red onion and sea salt, and stir-fry for 1 minute, or until fragrant. Add mushrooms and spring onions and stir-fry for 1 minute. Add noodles, choy sum, chilli and sesame oil and stir-fry for a further minute, or until noodles are heated through. Finally, add bean sprouts and soy sauce and stir-fry for 30 seconds.
- Arrange noodles in a bowl, sprinkle with Sichuan pepper and salt and serve immediately.