On 24 September 2025, Levi, a 16-year-old, passed away after a sudden and severe illness.
His mum, a Melbourne resident, Norliah, told SBS Punjabi that her son complained of stiffness in his body and his health began to deteriorate shortly after.
Norliah told SBS Punjabi that at the time, the family assumed he had contracted a viral infection and would recover by morning.
However, late that night, his condition worsened drastically. He was rushed to the emergency room, where a full medical team worked to save him in the intensive care unit.
Despite all efforts, Levi could not be saved.
Doctors informed the family that Levi had contracted meningococcal B disease.
This infection is extremely aggressive and, in some cases, can cause fatal brain swelling within just a few hours.
The diagnosis came as a shock to Norliah, as Levi had received a meningococcal vaccine under the school immunisation program in August 2025.
My son was vaccinated against meningococcal. But I later learned that the school-based vaccine protects against meningococcal strains A, C, W and Y, but does not cover meningococcal B—the strain that claimed her son’s life.Norliah, grieving mother
As per SKAI (Sharing Knowledge about Immunisation) website, in Australia, the meningococcal B vaccine is provided free of charge under school vaccination programs in Queensland, South Australia, and the Northern Territory.
But in Victoria, New South Wales, and Western Australia, the vaccine is not free for the general population, except for certain high-risk groups, and is not included in the National Immunisation Program (NIP).
Determined that no other family should experience the same loss, Norliah has launched a petition calling for the meningococcal B vaccine to be made free for all and added to the National Immunisation Program.
At the time of publishing this article, the petition had already gathered around 42,010 signatures.
A large number of people had shared similar experiences and support for the petition.

'One young life lost is too many'
Norliah aims to ensure universal access to the vaccine.
But bringing changes to the National Immunisation Program involves a lengthy and complex process.
The Royal Australian College of General Practitioners (RACGP), too, has expressed strong support for the petition. In their statement, the group of doctors said, "One young life lost is too many."

Responding to the petition, the Member of Parliament for Berwick, Brad Battin, stated that if elected, Victorian Liberals and Nationals will fund the meningococcal B vaccine for all Victorian babies and teenagers.
Meanwhile, a spokesperson for Victoria’s Department of Health told SBS Punjabi that immunisation decisions are made based on advice from the Chief Health Officer.
The spokesperson said the Victorian Government is advocating with the Commonwealth Government and pharmaceutical company GlaxoSmithKline for a reassessment of the full list of vaccines under the National Immunisation Program.
Norliah remains in regular contact with the Chief Health Officer and has also approached Victoria’s Health Minister, Mary-Anne Thomas.
"I have received significant support, but I also understand that legally implementing such changes takes time," she said, adding that she remains determined not to give up.
SBS Punjabi has also contacted the Health Minister for comment and is awaiting a response.
Find all our podcasts and stories that matter here at SBS Punjabi Podcast Collection.
💻 For news, information and interviews in Punjabi from across Australia and the homeland, you can tune in to SBS Punjabi live from Monday to Friday at 4pm on SBS South Asian on digital radio, on channel 305 on your television, via the SBS Audio app or stream from our website.
📲 Also, follow us on Facebook and Instagram.







