World leaders react to Trump tariff hikes | Midday News Bulletin 22 February 2026

SBS NEWS OK AUDIO 16X9 DAY.png

Source: SBS News

World leaders react to a sudden global tariff increase by Donald Trump, Calls for transparency around Australian families of suspected IS militants, Manchester City move within two points of Arsenal after a win over Newcastle.


Listen to Australian and world news, and follow trending topics with SBS News Podcasts.

TRANSCRIPT

  • World leaders react to a sudden global tariff increase by Donald Trump.
  • Calls for transparency around Australian families of suspected IS militants.
  • And in football, Manchester City move within two points of Arsenal after a win over Newcastle.

----

World leaders are reacting to news Donald Trump has unexpectedly lifted sweeping global tariffs from 10 to 15 per cent.

The US president announced the decision in the wake of a Supreme Court ruling that his existing tariff measures were unlawful.

Taking to social media platform, Truth Social, President Trump said the tariffs will be imposed on Tuesday for at least 150 days.

French President Emmanuel Macron welcomed news the U-S president's broad global tariffs had been deemed illegal and says time needed to be taken to analyse the consequences of trade penalties.

"The fairest rules possible involve reciprocity and not being subjected to unilateral decisions. So if this helps to pacify things, that's good, and I think we should rather be in a mindset of international appeasement and continuity in the modernization of our economy in all these sectors."

----

National party leader David Littleproud says the Federal Government risks compromising national security if they allow for the controversial return of a group of Australian citizens with family ties to suspected IS group militants.

The Albanese government says it will not assist in the return of the 34 Australians, 11 women and 23 children, who have been living in a refugee camp in Syria since the fall of the so-called caliphate.

The women and children left the Al-Roj camp last Monday in the hopes of coming home to Australia but were forced to turn back shortly afterwards.

Mr Littleproud says he's shocked that only one of the women have had a temporary block placed on their return by the government.

He tells Channel 7 there needs to be more tranparency around the decision-making process.

"Now I can't understand how only one of the 34 has that. The government has to be transparent about why only one. And if the government needs to extend this period for others, but for longer periods we will work with them, if that gives us time and comfort about bringing people back."

----

The Prime Minister has praised the cultural and economic contribution of Chinese Australians, at the reopening of the refurbished Museum of Chinese in Australia in Sydney.

The Federal Government announced a $2.6 million contribution toward renovations of the museum, last year.

Anthony Albanese says it is important to acknowledge and remember the history of Chinese people in Australia.

"There are Chinese Australians in every aspect of Australian life. Something that enriches our country, and something that is part of the reason we need to tell the story about that long and extraordinary history."

The Sydney event is part of Chinese Lunar New Year celebrations for the Year of the Fire Horse.

----

New Federal Opposition leader Angus Taylor has outlined his migration policy, if the Coalition were to take power.

In an interview with SBS Mandarin, the Liberal party leader says his party will fully unveil new policies closer to the next Federal election.

But Mr Taylor confirms migration numbers would be reduced under a coalition government, which would focus on matching skilled workers with jobs.

"We also need to make sure we get the right balance between building the infrastructure and services and housing we need in this country, with the population growth of the country. And that balance is always important."

----

The world's largest short film festival is underway this evening in Sydney, with finalists to be judged by a star panel including Hollywood producer and actress, Margot Robbie.

Tropfest will see 16 finalist entries screened at Centennial Park and is free to the public.

The event is returning after a seven-year hiatus and received 700 submissions from around the world.

Avatar and Titanic director James Cameron will join Ms Robbie on the jury panel, alongside Australian actress Sarah Snook and others.

----

In football,

Manchester City have moved within two points of Premier League leaders Arsenal after a 2-1 home win over Newcastle United.

It was an electric first half of football with 20-year-old Nico O'Reilly opening the scoring with a rocketed strike into the bottom corner.

Newcastle's Lewis Hall scored a deflected equaliser eight minutes later with O'Reilly then rising well five minutes later, heading the ball across Nick Pope's goal and putting the sky blues in the lead.

The result lights a fire under Arsenal whose surprising draw against bottom team Wolves on Thursday has helped reignite a fierce title race with City.


Share

Get SBS News daily and direct to your Inbox

Sign up now for the latest news from Australia and around the world direct to your inbox.

By subscribing, you agree to SBS’s terms of service and privacy policy including receiving email updates from SBS.

Follow SBS News

Download our apps

Listen to our podcasts

Get the latest with our News podcasts on your favourite podcast apps.

Watch on SBS

SBS World News

Take a global view with Australia's most comprehensive world news service

Watch now

Watch the latest news videos from Australia and across the world