Listen to Australian and world news, and follow trending topics with SBS News Podcasts.
TRANSCRIPT
- A tropical cyclone expected to develop off the coast of northwest Queensland this week.
- Over 100,000 Germans protest a far-right party revealed to have collaborated with neo-Nazis
- A devastating end to home favourite Alex de Minaur's Australian Open journey.
The Bureau of Meteorology says it's possible communities already hit by ex-tropical cyclone Jasper could find themselves facing a similar weather phenomenon within the next few days.
The potential cyclone appears to be forming in the Coral Sea, and is expected to be fully developed during Tuesday.
Queensland authorities are preparing for the worst as the weather system gains strength and is set to enter the northwest of the state late on Monday or early on Tuesday.
The Bureau's Steve Hadley says the areas south of Cairns are under the most threat.
"The most likely zone for crossing, for this tropical cyclone crossing, is from about Cairns down to Mackay during the middle part of the week. So it does look as if there is some risk for Cairns, particularly south of Cairns, but areas north of Cairns perhaps have lower risk than we have seen to the south."
The Bureau says communities on the east coast of Queensland are advised to stay up to date with forecasts and warnings.
---
Over 100,000 people have participated in protests across Germany to show their opposition to the far right Alternative für Deutschland party.
The demonstrations were sparked by a revelation that AfD party members were holding meetings with extremists and neo-Nazis to discuss the mass deportation of migrants, asylum seekers and anyone deemed to not be of full German origin.
Protests were held in major cities like Frankfurt, Hanover and Braunschweig, with people carrying banners displaying messages such as "protect the democracy" and "Nazis out".
Frankfurt's mayor Frank Josef, who took part in the protests, says people are making a stand against fascism.
"We stand together as democrats against the misanthropes of our country. We do this together and we do it with determination. No matter where we come from, no matter what we believe in."
---
The toll of Palestinians killed in Israeli attacks on the Gaza Strip has passed 25,000, the Health Ministry in the Hamas-run enclave says.
Gaza health officials have said more than 62,600 others have been injured since war broke out over 100 days ago on October 7 last year, as Israeli offensives and street battles continue to rage across the region.
Gaza's health ministry said on Sunday more than 170 Palestinians had been killed in the past 24 hours, one of the deadliest days of the war so far.
Israel has pressed ground and air offensives after vowing to eradicate Hamas from the region following its October 7 attacks.
Israel says around 190 IDF soldiers have been killed since it launched its ground military operation in the Gaza Strip, with the military reporting more than 530 deaths in total since the conflict broke out.
---
Health Minister Mark Butler says a new cancer drug available on the pharmaceutical benefits scheme will bring hope to Australians suffering from recurrent melanoma.
The cutting-edge drug, known as Opdualag, will be available to the roughly 940 patients suffering from the treatment-resistant skin cancer at a government-subsidised cost from February 1.
Without the subsidy these same patients could pay around $315,000 for each course of treatment.
Mr Butler says this new listing will expand options to patients with advanced melanoma that is not responsive to current treatments.
"Now this latest cutting-edge immunotherapy treatment Opdualag will be available for patients who have melanoma that is not able to be removed surgically or has become metastatic. This will give new hope to almost a thousand Australians each year and add a new tool to the growing toolbox of treatments for Australia's national cancer."
While treatments have improved, melanoma remains one of the most common and deadly cancers in Australia with 17,000 Australians diagnosed each year.
One Australian dies from the disease every six hours.
---
In tennis, Australian Alex de Minaur has lost in five sets to Russian Andrey Rublev in a devastating end to the top ten’s Australian Open tournament.
The round four match lasted four hours and fourteen minutes and was applauded by fellow Australian Nick Kyrgios for what he described as a display of an "insane" level of athleticism.
Di Minaur spoke to Channel Nine after the match about what he thinks went wrong.
"Not a match that I thought I lost physically. It was just that the racket was taken out of my hand. Got to a stage where you know, I just could not get him moving on I suppose that movement he was just standing and hitting from every single part of the court and just, you know, Mach 10 and you know, that's probably the most disappointing part of on the whole match."










