“It seems to me that our three basic needs, for food and security and love, are so mixed and mingled and entwined that we cannot straightly think of one without the others. So it happens that when I write of hunger, I am really writing about love and the hunger for it, and warmth and the love of it and the hunger for it… and then the warmth and richness and fine reality of hunger satisfied...”
Food is not just fuel. It’s love, family, home, emotion, tradition, health, sickness, ethics and money. It’s big business and small satisfactions. If you love writing about food and everything it touches on, just as much as you love cooking or eating it, and have a great story idea, we’d like to hear from you.
We’re looking for stories that excite people about food; that explore current trends or share insight on food-related events. Stories that engage, challenge or inspire. What if the whole world became vegetarian? Is our passion for superfoods such as quinoa hurting the communities where they are a traditional staple? Why are three-hat chefs getting so excited about burgers?
Helpful things to keep in mind:
- SBS inspires all Australians to explore and celebrate our diverse world.
- At SBS Food Online, we’re thoughtful, cheeky, open-minded and honest.
- We’re after well-crafted, thoroughly researched articles that will connect with an online audience from a wide range of age groups and cultural backgrounds. It could be a punchy 200 words or a powerhouse 2,000 words. We’re not looking for rants or opinion pieces.
- Don’t be boring. Don’t plagarise. Do surprise us, make us laugh out loud or want to rush into the kitchen and cook.
- Think beyond the obvious - we don’t want a story telling us there’s a trend in food. We want to know why that trend matters. Think about how your story can makes an issue interesting to people who didn’t think they cared, or excite them to try something new.
- We’re not looking for restaurant reviews, product reviews or book reviews.
- We’re not interested in a generic press release unless there is a specific editorial hook you want to pitch to us.
Please email us at email@example.com. Send a succinct but well-thought-out two or three paragraph summary of your idea; be specific about the thrust of the article and the main points you would cover. Attach a few examples of your writing, or send us links to where we can see some of your work. Include your full name and a contact phone number.